You probably have a good idea who your customers are. But who is your best customer?
It’s the single most important question that every business owner must answer. It’s also the first question I ask any business owner thinking of using a Valpak product to market their business.
Why? Often, in yearning for success, business owners try to be everything to everybody or get distracted with the new, shiny marketing object. These approaches become tiring and can get pretty expensive. It’s a shame to pay for advertising that reaches people that may never buy from you. It’s much more efficient, and a big part of marketing success, to define your best customer, or the persons most likely to do business with you.
While the profile of “best customer” varies from business to business, it’s well documented that women control or influence most purchasing decisions – 85% of all purchase decisions to be exact. So let’s start there: assume that your best customer is female. Now, answer these questions to better define your best customers.
- What are her demographic characteristics (age/income/education)?
- What are her lifestyle habits?
- Where does she get her information?
- How does she define the value of products/services?
- Why does she choose you over the competition?
- Why would she choose the competition instead of you?
- Is she loyal to your brand, and if so, why?
- What motivates her?
- Where does she live? How close to your establishment? How does that affect her decision to do business with you?
- What attributes about your business does she evaluate when making decisions about you?
- Has she heard of your business before?
After you define your very best customer, ask the same questions about different segments of customers. Knowing your customers and understand their needs and wants is the first step in creating compelling campaigns that get results.
How did you do? Are you able to answer these questions about your best customer?